How Can I Get Involved?
Yes! The Mayagüez Children’s Library wants donations of books in Spanish and English. Please bring ONLY books that meet the following criteria:
- fiction and non-fiction for children and youth (up to 18 years of age)
- reference books (less than 10 years old); nothing older please.
- contemporary fiction and non-fiction for mature readers
- classics, works by famous writers that have stood the test of time
We do not have a collection of textbooks. Donated textbooks are put on the shelves near the elevator for people to take.
Please bring ONLY books in good condition; books with water, humidity or termite damage should go in the trash. The library has limited storage space. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that your donated books will be part of the permanent collection. If we receive duplicate copies or books that do not meet the needs of our users, we reserve the right to donate them to another library or sell them at a reasonable price to benefit the Library.
Equipment or Materials
If you have equipment or materials that you think will be useful to the Library, please contact the Administrator/Director, Josseant Flores Cruz, to determine if they will be useful
It helps a lot if you can deliver the books, equipment or materials to the Library. Please call ahead so that someone can meet you at street level to pick up your donation. If pickup is required, please speak to Mr. Flores to make arrangements.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you to the family of volunteers who give their time and talents to the Library. We have many ideas to improve our services to the community, but to make this happen, we need people willing to work both in and outside the Library; we are also looking for people who want to provide a service or head a program like our stamp club.
Work in the Library may include among other things:
- cataloging books with a group of volunteers, or
- helping elementary school children with their homework.
Work outside of the Library could include:
- reading stories to children in schools,
- helping to maintain a section or page of our website,
- making recordings of stories in Spanish and English for use in schools or homes (a recent suggestion),
- reading stories to children in your own neighborhood, for example at a community center (a recent suggestion). The books would be provided by the library.
Public Relations and Fund-raising:
- sending news and Library communications to the local media,
- planning a specific event,
- sending letters to and visiting local businesses to get their support,
- writing thank you letters.
You might consider serving on the Board of Directors of the Library. People with specialized knowledge of libraries, information technology, grant-writing, and finances will find lots to do to help make this community library run more smoothly. If you are interested, call or email Joan Baker (787-831-1004 / email@example.com)
There are several ways you can donate money to our institution:
Deliver your donation to the library in cash or send a check or money order to our address on the homepage,
Donate using ATH Móvil pATH /bibliotecajuvenil,
Donate online through PayPal:
Note: The Mayagüez Children’s Library /Biblioteca Juvenil de Mayagüez (MCL/BJM) Inc. is a non-profit, tax-exempt corporation in both Puerto Rico (Hacienda) and the United States (IRS). Therefore, your donations are tax-exempt to the extent of the law. Please consult your tax accountant and/or lawyer for income tax advice.